Use a Checklist & Ease Year-End Stress
We all understand year-end is stressful. With back-to-back holidays, family chaos, and shopping, deadlines can easily fall through the cracks. Hence, the stress-relief of a year-end checklist! Read on to learn what these deadlines are, and why they are important.
Why the Checklist is Important
Year-End is arguably the most chaotic time of the year. Although it’s typically called “the most wonderful time of year,” it is stressful! Therefore, we create a checklist of important deadlines and tasks every year for our wonderful clients. After all, if you don’t have the brainpower to remember deadlines, you probably can’t muster some to write out an entire list!
Aside from the stress-relief, the items on our checklist are crucial for your company. Year-end notes the finalization of your payroll and tax information. For this reason, there are items that you should double-check or update to ensure proper processing of your business’ paperwork and taxes. If these items are incorrect, it can result in missed deadlines, late fees, and other applicable fines.
The holidays make payroll submission deadlines shift, so this is one item we really stress for clients. Generally, you need to move your payroll submission deadline back by 1 full business day. For example, if your payroll submission is Wednesday, but Wednesday is a holiday, you’ll need to submit Tuesday. If this gets too confusing, we’ve made an FAQ that will help you plan your input deadlines.
- Thursday, November 28th: Thanksgiving Day – Journey and Banks are closed. Move your payroll input date back by 1 full business day.
- Friday, November 29th: Day After Thanksgiving – Journey closes at 12:00 pm. Deadline to submit is 9:00 am.
- Friday, December 13th: Deadline to have updates submitted to Journey.
- Monday, December 23rd: Submit Payroll any time today for your Friday, December 27th check date. Finalized payroll must be received before 8:00 am Tuesday morning.
- Tuesday, December 24th: Christmas Eve – Journey is open but closes at 12:00 pm. Due to our processing bank’s early closure, no day-of submittals received after 8:00 am can be processed for a Friday, December 27th check date.
- Wednesday, December 25th: Christmas Day – Journey and banks are closed.
- Friday, December 27th: 1:00 pm is the deadline to submit payrolls to run for December 31st (last pay date of 2019).
Download Your Checklist & Get Planning
As shown above, there’s plenty to stress you out in the next few months. Rather than stressing though, go ahead and start planning! We assure you, planning eases stress significantly. Click the button below to download your printable copy. If you’d like further clarification, click the “Year-End Checklist Webinar” button to watch our Webinar. As always, reach out to your Payroll Specialist with any questions!
About Journey Employer Solutions
Service: Journey puts service above all. We believe if you offer a great price and great technology, but don’t have A+ level service, it’s worthless.
Technology: Journey has the advantage of being forward-thinking and fast-moving. Our decisions are not based on stockholders, but on clients looking for advanced offerings.
Value: Journey takes a client trusting their team as a crucial part of their business very seriously. We realize cost is an important consideration and set extremely fair pricing.
This is not meant to provide legal counsel or advice. Every situation is different. Please contact an HR professional or employment attorney before taking any action.
Locally owned and operated.
Thank you for staying local! Find a location near you, by clicking here